estatesyears-supportYear's Support Award

A year's support award is a permanent award of property from a decedent's estate to the decedent's surviving spouse, surviving minor children, or both. The surviving spouse of the decedent can apply for year's support unless he or she has remarried after the decedent's death. The decedent's minor child(ren) may apply for year's support if the following conditions are met: 

  • A child must be under the age of 18
  • The child must not be married
  • The child must be the child of the decedent (this includes adopted children or children born out of wedlock but does not include stepchildren of the decedent).

Minor children must be given a share of a year’s support award. A minor child's parents, legal guardian, or guardian ad litem may file on behalf of the child. In most cases, year's support may be granted whether or not the decedent had a will.